- probably the best regional literary magazine in Scotland,
- high quality writing, with a unique blend of the local and the global.
- a thrilling place to be published alongside writers and artists from around the world
J Graeme Roberts
J Graeme Roberts
Christine de Luca
Christine de Luca
Pushing Out the Boat Issue 16 was launched on Sunday the 16th May via an online event, showcasing some of the great poetry, prose and art it contains. A slideshow of the Issue 16 artwork was followed by live readings of a selection of poetry and prose from the magazine.
The production of this issue of the magazine, from the call for submissions through the selection of content to the design and printing, all took place during the coronavirus pandemic of 2020/21. Whilst this provided new challenges for the POTB team, it did nothing to diminish the quality and variety of submissions, resulting in a superb new edition.
Click on the cover image above for a peek inside the magazine, then purchase your copy through our online sales page or from one of our retail outlets. We are confident you will enjoy the magazine and perhaps be inspired to submit your own work to a future issue.
The first issue of Pushing Out the Boat was published in the year 2000, since when there have been a sequence high quality magazines leading up to our latest publication. You can read about how we work, who we are and how the magazines are produced on the About POTB page and the full back catalogue of magazines can be viewed on Our Magazines page.
Our latest edition, POTB Issue 16, was launched on 16th May via an online Zoom event. Within its pages you will find humour, pathos and drama in Doric, Scots and English, along with stimulating works of art. There’s a rich variety of theme and style from the contributing authors, poets and artists – with a mixture of new voices along with more familiar names.
based on an image by Jess Petrie
After looking at Issue 16, why not browse through other editions of the magazine. Online versions of Issues 9 – 14 can be read in full and sample extracts from Issues 6 – 8 offer a flavour of earlier editions. Then visit our online shop where all editions of the magazine are available for purchase.
POTB is an entirely voluntary and not-for-profit enterprise. The costs of producing this beautiful magazine are met by magazine sales and fund-raising events all of which have been hit by the Coronavirus restrictions. Any additional contributions, however small, are hugely appreciated and will help keep us afloat. Use the button below to donate via PayPal.
- Pushing Out the Boat at the WayWORD Festival 2021 (Lily Greenall, 10 Oct 2021)
- Launch of Issue 16 (Roger White, 19 May 2021)
- Q & A with Freda Hasler (Roger White, 29 Jan 2021)
- Pushing Out the Boat at the WayWORD Festival (Lily Greenall, 3 Oct 2020)
- Pushing Out the Boat in the time of corona (Roger White, 19 Aug 2020)
- Seeking a new Treasurer for POTB
- Join us at the WayWORD Festival – Writers’ showcase, Thu 23 Sept
- NEOS 2021 – see original artwork and buy Pushing Out the
- Pushing Out the Boat goes biennial
- Meet Heather our USA distributor for Issue 16; purchase in US dollars for US delivery
- Issue 16 has landed! Order your copy here
- Join us at the online launch of Issue 16 on Sunday 16th May
- Pushing Out the Boat poet in #LibrariesAreEssential campaign
- Selection of contributions for Issue 16 is now complete
- Seasons Greetings from POTB – our December Newsletter
- Christmas Special Offer
- POTB writers nominated for Scots Writer of the Year
- Issues 9 – 14 now available to read online
- Check out our Useful Links page for literary organisations, publications, events and POTB contributors.