Call for Submissions to Pushing Out the Boat Issue 17
Submissions are invited in three categories, as outlined below. Prose and poetry submissions must not have been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Prose: Up to 2 pieces may be submitted. This can include short fiction, play scripts, anecdotes, flash fiction, etc. These pieces may be up to 3000 words in length, although we encourage shorter works; pieces in Scots or Doric are appreciated too.
- Poetry: Up to 3 poems may be submitted. Almost anything of a poetic nature goes and poems in Scots or Doric are welcome.
- Artwork: Up to 3 images may be submitted. These can be digital representations of any 2- or 3-dimensional work, including line drawings, paintings, illustrations, photographs, etc, regardless of original format or medium; the piece(s) should be suitable for inclusion in a literary journal.
Submissions should be made through the online forms, available on this web site.
How to make a submission
Before making a submission, you must register with us as a potential contributor to obtain a personal username and password that will enable you to login to the submission system.
Already registered? If you submitted online to a previous issue (or registered then as a potential contributor), the username and password you chose then will still be valid, so you can go straight to the login page. If you have forgotten your details, the login form includes a link through which you can retrieve them.
New submitter? Click here to register
Once registered, you will be able to login to the submissions area of the web site, using the personal username and password you chose at registration.
Once you have logged-in, the submission forms will appear automatically on the Submissions drop-down menu. Before making a submission, however, please take time to read the following notes:
Please note that we do not accept submissions by email. All entries should be submitted through the online forms on this web site.
The deadline for submissions is 30th September 2022 but earlier submissions are especially appreciated.
Our target date for completion of the selection process is the end of December 2022. Successful submitters will be notified by email and asked to provide some brief biographical details for inclusion in the magazine. Please note that, due to limited resources, we are unable to enter into correspondence regarding selection.
We aim to launch Issue 17 in Spring 2023. Successful contributors will receive a copy of the magazine and an invitation to read or display their work at the launch event.
Privacy, Reproduction & Copyright
- Access to submissions will be restricted to the selection and editorial team of Pushing Out the Boat.
- No use will be made of those submissions not selected for publication.
- Items, or extracts from items, published in our magazines may also be reproduced on the Pushing Out the Boat web site and in other POTB publicity.
- Copyright: Contents of the magazine may not be used or reproduced without crediting POTB and the author or artist. Any commercial re-use or reproduction of a contribution requires prior permission from the editor’s representative and the particular contributor.