Pushing Out the Boat Submissions
Submissions to POTB will be opening on 1st July
Submissions to Pushing Out the Boat will open on 1st July 2018 with a Call for Submissions to our next edition (Issue 15), aiming for publication of the magazine in April 2019. Further details will be published here on 1 July. In the meantime, you can keep in touch through our Facebook page and via our mailing list.
Submissions will be invited in three categories, as outlined below. Prose and poetry submissions must not have been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Prose – which includes short fiction, play scripts, anecdotes, flash fiction, etc. These pieces may be up to 3000 words in length, although we encourage shorter works; pieces in Scots or Doric are appreciated too.
- Poetry – almost anything of a poetic nature goes and, as for the prose, pieces in Scots or Doric are welcome.
- Artwork – digital representation/s of any 2- and 3-dimensional work, regardless of it’s original format or medium; the piece/s should be suitable for inclusion in a literary journal.
We value work from all over the world, from adults and from youngsters aged from 12 to under 18. The number/s of permitted entries will be specified within the Call for Submissions, along with timings and other details.
In the meantime, for the benefit of new prospective contributors, an outline of the submission process is given below. We also recommend taking a look at our Hints and Tips for Submitting Work if you are considering making a submission.
POTB Submission Process
We open with a Call for Submissions when detailed instructions for submission are published. Once submissions close, the anonymised entries are reviewed by our panels who make selections for publication. Successful submitters are notified by email, then the magazine is edited, designed and published.
- Access to submissions will be restricted to the selection and editorial team of Pushing Out the Boat.
- No use will be made of those submissions not selected for publication.
- Items, or extracts from items, published in our magazines may also be reproduced on the Pushing Out the Boat web site and in other POTB publicity.
- Copyright: All content copyright © of respective authors and artists. Contents of the magazine may not be used or reproduced without crediting POTB and the author or artist. Any commercial re-use or reproduction of a contribution requires prior permission from the editor’s representative and the particular contributor.